POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : new (slow) G4s vs. G3s : Re: new (slow) G4s vs. G3s Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:17:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: new (slow) G4s vs. G3s
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 27 Sep 1999 19:38:13
Message: <37efffe5@news.povray.org>
In article <jer### [at] cerebusacusdedu> , jer### [at] acusdedu
(Jerry) wrote:

> a) the unofficial compile is a lot faster than I thought it was in my home
> configuration.

Simply turn off the preview and measure again (see below), please!   Read
the official Mac documentation, please, please, please!

> f) The difference in parsing time *may* be because of the slowness of the
> official compile in writing the vista buffers to the display. (The
> unofficial may be writing them off-display; it certainly appears
> instantaneous)

You need to make sure both versions have the *same* settings!

Try the following: Make your settings in the official version, and also set
the "Write INI File" option in the Scene pane of the settings dialog.
Start the render (You don't need to let it finish).   After that you should
find a file with the extension ".ini" in the same folder as the scene file.

Now you have a correct set of settings for both versions:

Do use the INI file with the official version, just set the "Read INI File"
option in the Scene pane.

For the Smellenbergh unofficial version set the "Use INI file" option in the
"File & Path" pane and select the INI file.

> g) There doesn't seem to be much of any difference between the official
> and unofficial compiles on the Rev.1 machine--at least, compared to the
> big differences on the Rev.2 and G4!

This is obviously a setup error on your side. :-(

> h) the speed increase on the G4 vs. the Rev.2 machine appears to be
> hovering right around 1/3 faster--which is just what you might expect from
> the 400 MHz chip vs. a 300 MHz chip?

Yes, what did you expect? :-)

Also, a), and H) are ansered in the FAQ on the official Mac site:
<http://mac.povray.org/help_info.html#macfaq>

     Thorsten

NOTE: It is simply *impossible* that the unofficial compile (the one from
the Smellenberghs?) is anything faster than a few percent points simply
because there is *no* difference between the source code (except how the
preview is implemented) and *no* difference between compilers! All these
differences (if preview is off) are user setup errors, sorry!

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.